UDL101: Introduction to Universal Design for Learning
A CAST Online Course
We know from experience and science that individuals learn in varied ways—ways that are particular to them. Universal Design for Learning (UDL) provides educators with practical strategies and techniques to ensure that all learners can meet high expectations. In this introductory course, participants learn the research basis for UDL, practical applications of UDL to lesson design, and helpful technology tools that support flexible, inclusive instruction. Each course section brings together up to 20 educators in an online community of practice. The course consists of 14 sessions.
This course is designed for anyone interested in the theory and practice of UDL. While many of our examples are K-12 focused, higher education faculty are welcome and encouraged to take this course to learn about UDL theory and consider how to apply it to their curricula.
Using the UDL framework and its practical guidelines, participants will gain:
- A working knowledge of the theory and research basis of UDL, including how individual variability plays out in different educational environments
- Strategies for evaluating and improving lessons to reach more varied learners and to support high levels of engagement and achievement for all learners
- Tips, guidelines, and techniques for applying UDL principles to the design of lessons and curriculum units that need to be aligned to educational standards
- Strategies for using new technologies, to make the curriculum more effective
- Access to and tips on using CAST learning, authoring, and planning tools such as: Book Builder, UDL Studio, UDL Editions, and UDL Curriculum Self-Check
To learn more about this online course, contact Alie Berg at 781-245-2212, ext 248 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
We also offer this course (in a facilitated, scheduled format) to PreK-postsecondary institutions, as well as other organizations. For more information please contact Madeline Reggiannini, Operations & Marketing Manager, at 781-245-2212, ext 240 or email@example.com.
Scroll down for additional course information.
“I have A LOT on my plate…and [at first] I saw this course as an extra burden…HOWEVER, just after 3 sessions I completely changed my mind…I am enjoying the course so much…it is equipping me more to be able to disseminate skills relating to learner variability…I would like to sincerely thank you for your hard work and dedication and for sharing all of this with us.”UDL101 Online Course Participant
This course is offered every Spring, Summer, and Fall
Fall: September 18 – December 18
A 10% discount is offered to teams of three or more people from the same institution who register together.
Who Should Enroll?
Educators (general, special education, curriculum coordinators, administrators, instructional technology specialists, paraprofessionals, college and university faculty, adult education faculty and presenters, etc.) and teams of educators at all levels who are interested in learning about:
- How to address the learner variability in every classroom and school
- How to support students to become expert learners
- Cutting edge research from the learning sciences
- How to implement UDL strategies into their practice
This course is also open to parents who are interested in learning about UDL and how it can benefit their children.
CAST Professional Learning offers graduate credit for some of our online courses and institutes through our partnerships with accredited colleges and universities. If you are interested in graduate credit for this course, you will need to register and pay for the course through this webpage and then you will need to register and pay for graduate credit directly through one of our graduate credit providers. See below for information about the graduate credit providers available for this course:
Coursework for this module is equivalent to a 45-contact-hour, graduate-level course. Participants who complete the course with a C- (71%) or better will receive an email that contains a printable PDF of an official CAST certificate.